Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Intimidation

Intimidation- to make timid; fill with fear.

For me, intimidation relates to weight loss and working out.

Setting weight loss goals can cause intimidation.  Looking at what seems to be impossible can make a person timid.  I know that it has for me in the past.  I always looked at the end number and total lbs. that I wanted to lose and thought to myself that it was impossible.  I would start out strong, but when I would start to lose a few lbs. I would still realize that I had a long way to go.  I would get discouraged and afraid of falling short, intimidated by my seemingly impossible task. It was always easier to fall back in to my old routine instead of facing my fear. 

If you have never been intimidated by your workout, you never have done Crossfit.  Just the name of some of the workouts fill me with fear.  Fran, Murph, and so on.  Just typing those out sends a chill down my spine.  Mostly the intimidation comes from the fact that I know how I am going to feel during the workout, like death is around the corner.  I know that a little bit of fear is good.  What I can't do is to let the fear dictate my workout.  Just because I am intimidated by the workout doesn't mean that I should skip it or half-ass my effort.  I will only end up where I always have in the past, unhappy with my weight.

While intimidation is an aspect of everyday life, how you handle it will determine your success.  If I back down from it, I will never achieve my goals.  The key is to take it 1 day at a time, 1 meal at a time, and 1 workout at a time.  In the end, I will come out a better person.

Today's workout
5 Rounds
40 double unders
30 box jumps 24" box
20 kettlebell swings 53lbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment