Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Welcome Back Old Friend

Why is it that it takes so long to get back in shape, but it seems like no time at all to lose it?  That is how I felt during yesterday's workout.  I was about halfway through when I thought, "No one else is here, I could just stop now."  The old me probably would have and used the excuse that I was just getting back in to working out so I don't want to be too sore.  I knew that if I wanted to make any progress, I couldn't quit.  I pushed through and finished the workout, 41 minutes.  Not a great time by any standards, but I had finished and not quit.  And laying on the gym floor in a puddle of sweat, trying to catch my breath and not have a heart attack, I smile because I know that I will soon be seeing an old friend.

That old friend I am referring to is the ache in your muscles the day after a good workout. My legs are really sore today and my body really aches, but I know that old friend has good intentions.  I know that old friend has come back into my life to help push me towards my goals.  And I welcome back that friend with open arms.  That pain makes me feel good about what I have done in the last few days and it makes me want to go back again.  So today I did.   

No comments:

Post a Comment