That does not describe me or how I am built. It is the book that I am currently reading. It talks about finding the joy in running. As I was reading it today, I came across a quote in the book that made me think of Crossfit. The quote was describing a young breed of ultra runners and how they loved to push their bodies. It was from William James: "Beyond the very extreme of fatigue and distress, we may find amounts of ease and power we never dreamed ourselves to own; sources of strength never taxed at all because we never push through the obstruction."
This quote describes a lot of my Crossfit workouts, and why I enjoy doing them in a group. Working out by yourself is fine for some people, but I prefer to be in a group. The reason is summed up in that quote. When I am fatigued and feel like I have nothing left, there is someone telling me 1 more rep, just pick up the bar. If I was working out on my own, I would stop. I would never think that I could do more or really know what I was capable of. Having a group there to help push me past anything I ever thought possible for me is why I enjoy the group workouts.
And if you haven't read the book Born to Run, I recommend it.
No comments:
Post a Comment