Pretty much every crossfitter knows that some time or another you are going to rip the skin open on your hand or hands. There are ways to try and combat that, either chalk, hand wraps, gloves, etc. Yesterday's workout had 100 pull ups in it, so I was afraid of the dreaded tear. The worst part about tearing your hand isn't the pain, but depending on the severity, the amount of time it takes to heal. And since I took a month off, of course I tore my hand mid workout.
The workout was 10 rds of 10 pull ups/10 ring dips or 20 min., whichever comes first. I had to use a band for assistance with the ring dips, but did the pull ups without a band. A band for assistance is a giant rubberband that you stand in or for dips, string it between the rings and put a knee on it for assistance. About round 5 is when I looked at my left hand and saw the dreaded tear, and it was a big rip. I tried to continue with regular pull ups, but it kept ripping. So, I changed for the next rounds to do jumping pull ups. For me, pull ups with a band are a pain, so I decided to do jumping pull ups. That's where I jump from the ground to over the bar while doing a pull up. After 20 min, I got 7 full rounds and 10 pull ups. I was a little disappointed that I didn't get all 10 rounds in, but I know next time I will. I just need to let my hand heal up a bit before doing that many pull ups again.
No comments:
Post a Comment