Fear-a distressing emotion aroused by impending danger, evil, pain, etc., whether the threat is real or imagined; the feeling or condition of being afraid.
Sometimes you just have to face your fears and know that doing what you are afraid of will only make you stronger. I have been practicing ring dips now for a few weeks, and I have been able to finally do them. I was never afraid of ring dips. The one exercise I have always been afraid of is handstand pushups (HSPU).
The fear about HSPU is all in my head. It is not natural to be upside down, then want to lower your head to the ground then back up. If I slip, I'll smack my head. My anxiety about doing them is created in my head and I psych myself out of them before I even try. Today was going to be different. I had conquered ring dips, now it was time to work on my HSPU. It took me a few tries. First I did a tri-pod against the wall and straightened out my legs to get used to what it would be like. Then I started flipping my body up, but I couldn't get enough momentum to get my feet against the wall. This was mostly because of my fear about HSPU. Once I pushed my fear of doing them aside, it all just clicked. I flung my body forward and my feet hit the wall. Then I held myself like that for about 15 sec. Then I did it again. Nice! I still have a ways to go until I am comfortable doing them, but today was a great start. I have proved to myself in these last 2 months that I am capable of much more than I thought was possible.
Today's WOD:
Annie
50-40-30-20-10
Double Unders
Sit-ups
12:12-an improvement of 9 minutes from last time!
No comments:
Post a Comment