Tuesday, September 28, 2010

It's Like Coming Off of Crystal Meth

That was what was said at the Level 1 Certification I attended this past weekend in Ann Arbor, MI at Hyperfit USA.  First off, that gym is awesome and all of the people that instructed the class were awesome.  It made me realize a few things though.  First off, I have been a half ass crossfitter.  Meaning, I work out, but haven't really dialed in my diet.  What does all that mean?  It means that I am not unlocking my potential and in essence, I am only doing this thing half ass.

Back to why it is like coming off of crystal meth.  That is referring to changing your diet and how food is an addiction.  When you cut out sugary snacks, it can cause some real issues.  Mood swings, headaches, and can just make you an all around miserable person at first.  But once you get past that initial withdrawal, your body adjusts and you are on your way to a healthier person.  I have been ok with my diet, but I know that I have been far from strict.  I still eat sugary snacks and have not, for no other reason than being lazy, have not 100 % committed myself to it.  This weekend at the certification was a wake up call for me.  Nobody can change me but me.  And I gained some extra motivation and tools to do it this past weekend.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the post Beener - I have always related my relationship to food as an addiction - and the sugar is definitely, physiologically, addictive. Know that I will be rooting for you and thinking twice before I reach for a "cheat".
    (the cookies are sitting in front of me as we speak!)
    Good luck,
    Trish

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the encouragement trish...

    ReplyDelete