Monday, June 21, 2010

Blending Together

Losing weight and getting fit, as we all know, is a struggle.  Some people hate working out, and others can't control eating habits.  I am like most, my diet is where I need to really crack down.  I don't have a problem working out.  As a matter of fact, I love to workout.  It is in my nutrition that I am lacking.  My eating habits are just as important, if not more, than my workout regiment.  The key to my success is to blend the 2 together into a healthy lifestyle.  I am following a mostly Paleo diet, which is also referred to as the caveman diet.

Here's an example of what my day of eating is like.
Breakfast:
6 egg whites, a piece of fruit, and 20 almonds.
Snack:
Protein Shake
Lunch:
6 oz. chicken breast, 1/2 avocado or nuts, broccoli or asparagus
Snack:
Zone Protein Bar
Dinner:
6 oz. chicken breast, steak, or fish, small side salad with oil and vinegar, vegetables
Snack:
Casein Protein Shake or 1/2 cup of low fat cottage cheese

Meals are spread apart about every 3 hours

I am lucky because I don't mind eating the same thing all the time, and I don't get sick of it.  I need to look at my eating in a different way.  I don't need to eat because I am hungry, I need to eat to fuel my body for my workouts.  8 weeks begins today.

1 comment:

  1. What happens to the egg yolks? They are the tastiest part and where most of the nutrition is? And I don't see any other fat in your diet. A true paleo diet needs fat.

    It has never been proven that high intakes of saturated fat and cholesterol are detrimental to our health. The American Heart Association bases their "low-fat" prescription off of five studies:

    (1) The first one was Ancel Keys study done in the 70's that generated "The Lipid Hypothesis" which argues that eating saturated fat and cholesterol give you high cholesterol, and high cholesterol gives you heart disease... totally bogus, and debunked numerous times. The debunking is best explained in Gary Taubes's "Good Calories, Bad Calories."

    (2) The Los Angeles VA Hospital Study (1969): Researchers didn't collect data regarding smoking habits for some men, and stated later that half the participants strayed from the prescribed diet.

    (3) The Oslo Diet-Heart Study (1970); basically proved nothing regarding deaths from heart disease and a low fat diet.

    (4) The Finnish Mental Hospital Study (1979): almost half of the participants either left or joined half way through the 12 year study.

    (5) The St. Thomas' Atherosclerosis Regression Study (1992): 74 men showed a reduction in heart disease by those who ate diets low in saturated fat... but they were also required to eat less sugar. Since the message needed to be "saturated fat bad" that little detail is often left out.

    Let me sum it up: Cholesterol doesn’t lead to heart problems. Cholesterol is absolutely essential to good health. A major factor is the small dense LDL particles that cause problems.

    ReplyDelete