Thursday, July 29, 2010

Group suffering is so much better

The great thing about Crossfit is that you can do it on your own.  The workouts are posted online, I know how to do the exercises, and I have a free gym at my work.  But something was still missing.  It was the competitive aspect of it all.  I don't have a problem pushing myself to do the workouts.  The problem is when you do it by yourself, you may rest a little longer or not push yourself quite as hard.  That is the best part about going to a Crossfit gym, the atmosphere and community.

Today I went and joined a great gym today, Crossfit Cleveland.  It is in Lakewood and right down the street from work for me.  They have classes that I can attend pretty much every day.  Today reminded me why I get so much more from working out with a group then by myself.  I can't make any excuses.  The other people in the class cheer you on, making you want to give it just that little bit extra that you wouldn't if you were training by yourself.  There is something about suffering in a group that doesn't make it suck so bad because there are other people going through the same thing with you.  And there is always someone there to make sure your form is correct, which is extremely important to prevent injury.  I also like that I don't have to think.  I just show up and whatever is on the board, I just have to do it.  I can't wait to see the results in 8 weeks, when I go for my certification.

Today's WOD:
3 turkish get ups (google it, plenty of videos on you tube) with 1 arm, then 3 push press, then 12 walking overhead lunges (holding the weight straight up over your head and doing walking lunges).  Then you switch arms and do the same thing all over.  Take a 1-2 min. rest between sets and repeat for 5 rds.

It was the first time for me doing turkish get ups, which are a great core exercise.  My rds. were 20 lbs, 15,15,20,25.  Then the cool down:
33 jumping squats
33 jumping ball slams
33 jumping squats

No comments:

Post a Comment