Sunday, May 23, 2010

Thank you Crossfit

Today I ran a 5K for work.  It was for the charity C.O.P.S. (Concerns of Police Survivors).  The last time I ran a 5k, it took me 35 min.  That was 3 years ago.  My goal today was to beat 35 min.  I am not what you would call aero-dynamic.  I haven't run since I did the marathon relay over a month ago.  The only running that I did since then was if it was in a Crossfit workout.  My workouts have been strictly Crossfit and boxing, so I knew that my cardio would hold up.  There were about 400 runners, so the start was a little crowded.  3,2,1 go...and we were off.  I didn't try to keep up with anyone, just keep running.

I hit the first mile just under 10 min., nice.  During the run, I was feeling really good.  It was a beautiful sunny day, which is rare in Cleveland.  I made it to the 2nd mile and still feeling good, but I had slowed down a little.  The 3rd mile I needed to pick up the pace a little.  I came around the corner and the finish line was in site.  About a 1/2 mile from the finish, I got a second wind and picked it up.  I actually passed people instead of being passed.  I sprint towards the finish line and when I crossed, I looked at the clock.  32:57.  I had finished 2 minutes ahead of my goal.  I was really happy with that time.  Thank you Crossfit.  My training has paid off.  Next time I run a 5k, I will finish in under 30 min.

No comments:

Post a Comment