Monday, May 31, 2010

Chalk it up

After another long day at work, I head to the gym.  It's easier to just force myself to workout right after work, so if I get side tracked I don't miss a workout.  I decided today to revisit a workout that I really like, DT.  The best time that I did this workout in was 19 min. and some change back when I was crossfitting a lot.  I did this workout a little while back when I was starting to get back to working out.  I added 8 minutes and it took me 27 minutes.  I was really disappointed.  Today would be different, I just knew I would improve.

DT is a great strength and cardio workout.  It is 5 rounds of 12 deadlift, 9 hanging power cleans (HPC), and 6 push press/jerk, whichever you want.  The entire workout is done with 155 lbs., which sucks.  I load the bar up and get myself in the right mindframe.  3,2,1 go!  I rip through the deadlifts no problem, now on to the HPCs.  Holy crap is this heavy.  I do 5 reps, then 4.  I'm able to press 155, so I do push presses.  Those I break in to 2 sets of 3.  1 round down, and I still have 4 to go.  This is not going to be fun.  It wasn't a cardio issue for me during this workout.  Don't get me wrong, I was tired.  My forearms were on fire from doing the HPCs and I was having a hard time holding on to the bar.  Not only because my forearms were tired, but I did not have any chalk, so my grip would slip.  I push through the rounds and approach the final round at around 15 min.  I knew that I would finish under 20 min.  I finish my last press and drop the bar, Time!  I look at my watch, 18:50.  I had beat my best time from a while back and took 9 minutes of my last time!

Besides being ecstatic about my time, I realized that I do need to get some lifting chalk.  It will help me with my grip.  I am sure that I could cut another minute off my time if I had some chalk.  I will revisit this workout in the future, and I will be sure to have some chalk.

Today's WOD:
5 rds w/155 lbs.
12 deadlift
9 hanging power cleans
6 push press/jerk

No comments:

Post a Comment