Tuesday, April 6, 2010

A tractor tire and a bitch named Fran

The bitch I am referring to is a Crossfit benchmark workout.  It doesn't sound bad on paper, but this workout sucks a**.  The workout is a coupling of thrusters w/95 lbs. and pull ups done for 21 reps, then 15, then 9.  Not that bad, right?  WRONG.  And for me, pull-ups are my a big weakness of mine.  In Crossfit, you are forced to confront your weaknesses and deal with them head on.  That is what is great about it.  I easily could have done something else, but if I don't work on what I am weak at, then I won't get any better at it.  So, I sucked it up and did Fran today.  Just over 20 minutes.  That is a terrible time.  Just to give you an idea, an average time is anywhere from 5-10 minutes.  The elite are usually 3 minutes or less.  I did the work out as prescribed, which means that I used the recommended weight and no assistance/bands on the pull ups.  It would have been easier to do assisted pull ups, but I won't get any better taking the easy way out.

After completing Fran, I decided that I would do an active cool down.  At work, they have a tractor tire, probably somewhere between 400-500 lbs.  I thought  it would be a good idear to do 10 minutes of tire flips in the parking lot.  Working out outside is much better than being inside the gym.  And the barbaric aspect of throwing a tire around is very appealing to me.  I got some strange looks from people driving by and co-workers, but who cares.  After the 10 minutes were up, I was completely exhausted.  While I was trying to catch my breath, all I could do was smile because today I knew I had a great workout.

No comments:

Post a Comment